Monday, February 1, 2010

Story People

I've been moving for pretty much the last week. The new place is most definitely an exciting and much needed upgrade, but right now it just feels like a bunch of rooms full of unpacked boxes. And they're staring me in the face and making me feel both guilty and lazy. I don't want to touch them after long, tough days. The kinds of days that have also ended in me barely wanting to look at my computer when I finally get home let alone boot it. Hence the gaps between posts.

But just a bit ago, while scouring for two socks that came close to patching, I pulled a silver frame out of one of four boxes of clothes in the bedroom. Inside is a little Story People print I love. The words read like so:

"There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good."

I fell in love with Story People in college when my friend and former roommate Jenna discovered the collection. Since then I've bought prints, books and cards as gifts, using some of my favorite bits in letters and notes to the friends and folks I adore most. The bright colors that fill the funky drawings (check them out here) make me happy, to put it simply, and I love that a couple handfuls of words can leave me with perspective.

This particular one feels right about now. And reminds me that I can't wait to cook something (that may or may not be tasty) up in this lovely new kitchen for my nearest and dearests. Maybe I'll tackle one more box before bed after all.

Have a good week, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment